Following the route further north on the A82, past the Bridge of Orchy and Loch Tulla, visitors will pass Achallader before reaching Kingshouse on the right. Situated in the east side of Glen Coe, there is the Kings House Hotel which still has remains of its original 18th-century structure.
The hotel was once used by the British Army as a Highland base in the aftermath of the Jacobite Rising in 1745. Many consider the original Kings House as one of Scotland’s oldest licensed inns. It was an ideal base for the army as it was on the part of the military road which crossed the River Etive. Now, this military route is part of the West Highland Way.
Kingshouse is a fantastic base for visitors wishing the see the Glen Coe Visitor Centre and the Glen Coe Ski Centre. The Glen Coe Visitor Centre is managed by the National Trust for Scotland and is award-winning, thanks to its eco-friendly design. Here guests can marvel at the beauty from the viewing platform and enjoy the café and shop too.
There are plenty of activities that begin at the Visitor Centre too. These include Land Rover Safaris, children’s events and exhibitions.
If you prefer snow sports, the Glen Coe Mountain Resort offers skiing, snowboard, sledging and even avalanche rescue training!